Birdstep addresses Top Ten Pain Points for Mobile Operators
Data off-load, measurements, communication and support are all important areas to the Mobile Operators which all are addressed in the easiest and best way when built into a connection manager.
These services are also within Birdsteps area of competence.
The operator market is in a transition where the "traditional" business with voice, SMS and the occasional data service is turning into a new, and in some aspects un-known, business. It is, however, clear that it is a data driven new paradigm that's developing.
As a result of this, a challenge on the market today compared to only a year ago, is the enormous uptake in data traffic, new platforms and devices that complicates the products and the market approach.
Smartphones and Tablets are growing rapidly, and devices like MiFi/Personal Hotspots are leading the growth in mobile data. This had led to a virtual explosion of data demand, user growth - and as a result of the mass market success - a big uptake in customer support.
Tellabs and Analysys Mason even claims, according to a recent study (Feb 2011), that mobile operators in developed countries could run out of profit in the next two to four years if they do not change their business models.
This assumes that the current trends in demand for data, revenues and costs associated with investing in high speed data networks is maintained.
Below are the top 10 facts and trends for the operator market. Birdstep addresses all of those:
- Mobile operators are having high levels of churn
- Support costs are high, and still rising, for Mobile broadband
- Mobile broadband is becoming "Mobile data" which also includes data and services consumed by Smartphones, personal hotspots and Tablets
- The "data tsunami" has become a reality. Data growth is out-stripping the revenue growth
- Operators spend a significant part of their CapEx on marketing
- The number of "platforms" to support has increased for the service providers
- App driven OTT models are prevalent
- Policy control and flexible subscriptions are being implemented by mature operators
- Time-to-market is very important to the operators as a competitive advantage.
- Android and iOS is capturing important data outside the operators control
Read more about how Birdstep addresses the Top Ten Pains for Mobile operators here.